About the Prosecutor General's Office
The Prosecution Service of the Republic of Belarus (hereinafter – Prosecution Service) is a unified and centralized system of bodies carrying out on behalf of the State supervision over the strict and uniform enforcement of regulatory legislative acts on the territory of the Republic of Belarus and fulfilling other functions as provided for by law.
The legal foundation for the work of the Prosecution Service is formed by the Constitution of the Republic of Belarus, the Law of the Republic of Belarus No. 220-Z dated 8 May, 2007 “On the Prosecution Service of the Republic of Belarus” (hereinafter - Law) and other legislative acts defining the competence, organization, operational procedures of the Prosecution Service and the powers of the prosecutors.
The tasks of the Prosecution Service are ensuring the rule of law, the law and order, protecting the rights and legitimate interests of the citizens and organizations, as well as interests of the public and the State. In order to fulfill these tasks, the Prosecution Service executes supervision over:
- strict and uniform enforcement of laws, ordinances, decrees and other regulatory legislative acts by the national bodies of public administration and other state organizations subordinate to the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus, local representative, executive and regulatory authorities, public associations, religious and other organizations, officials and other citizens, including entrepreneurs (hereinafter – supervision over enforcement of the law);
- enforcement of legislation in the course of operational and search activity;
- enforcement of the law in the course of pre-trial proceedings, preliminary investigation and inquiry;
- congruence of court rulings with the law, as well as law compliance during execution of court rulings;
- law compliance in the course of execution of punishments, other criminal responsibility measures and measures of coercion.
The Prosecution Service coordinates law enforcement activity of the public bodies carrying out fight against crime and corruption, as well as activities to counter crime of the organizations participating in the fight against crime.
The Prosecution Service carries out preliminary investigation in the cases provided for by the Code of Criminal Procedure of the Republic of Belarus.
Prosecutors take part in consideration by courts of civil cases, cases related to performance of entrepreneurial and other economic activity, pursue public prosecution in criminal cases, take part in administrative process in conformity with the Code of Civil Procedure of the Republic of Belarus, Code of Economic Procedure of the Republic of Belarus, Code of Criminal Procedure of the Republic of Belarus and Code of the Republic of Belarus on Administrative Offences Procedure and Execution (hereinafter – procedural legislation).
The activity of the Prosecution Service is based on the principles of legality, equality of the citizens before the law, independence of the prosecutor, subordination of prosecutors, publicity, and mandatory character of requirements of the prosecutor.
The prosecutor in his activity is guided by the Constitution of the Republic of Belarus and legislative acts being in conformity with the Constitution, and within the confines of his powers performs the functions entrusted to him by this Law and other legislative acts.
The unified and centralized system of the Prosecution Service comprises the Prosecutor General’s Office of the Republic of Belarus, Offices of the Prosecutors for Regions (Oblasts), Office of the Prosecutor for the City of Minsk and specialized prosecutor’s offices equated to them, which form legal persons, prosecutor’s offices for regions, city districts, cities, interregional prosecutor’s offices and equated to them specialized prosecutor’s offices on transport, as well as other state organizations established within the system of bodies of the Prosecution Service by decision of the President of the Republic of Belarus.